Successful with Hermosa in 2019 and Love in 2020, Aidan O’Brien sent two in pursuit of the prize in 2021, as he attempted to make it three in a row. The Camelot filly, Santa Barbara only had a maiden win to her name heading into the race, but was the choice of Ryan Moore. The decision of the rider no doubt played a role in Santa Barbara proving all the rage in the betting – ultimately being sent off as the joint-favourite with Andrew Balding’s Alcohol Free, who was seeking a hattrick following a win in the Cheveley Park Stakes on her final start at two years of age, and a narrow success in the Dubai Duty Free Stakes at Newbury.
The second of the O’Brien runners, Mother Earth, had been very busy during her juvenile campaign but managed just one win from eight attempts. However, the mount of Frankie Dettori had also twice finished placed in Group 1 company, including over this course and distance in the Fillies Mile. Others fancied to go well included Dubai Duty Free runner-up, Statement, Nell Gwyn Stakes winner, Sacred, and Jane Chapple-Hyam’s course winner, Saffron Beach.
- 1st – Mother Earth 10/1, Jockey: Frankie Dettori, Trainer: Aidan O’Brien
- 2nd – Saffron Beach 9/1, Jockey: Adam Kirby, Trainer: Jane Chapple-Hyam
- 3rd – Fev Rover 22/1, Jockey: Paul Hanagan, Trainer: Richard Fahey
Prize Money Breakdown
- 1st – £212,662.50
- 2nd – £80,625
- 3rd – £40,350
- 4th – £20,100
- 5th – £10,087.50
- 6th – £5,062.50
Tote and Forecast Payouts
- Tote Win – £8.30
- Tote Places – 1st – £2.10, 2nd – £2.90. 3rd – £4.40
- Exacta – £80.30
- Computer Straight Forecast (CSF) – £91.66
- Trifecta – £640
- Tricast – £1,950.21
With the withdrawal of Lullaby Moon, only 11 went to post on the day. As the stalls opened, the jockeys seemed of the opinion that the middle-to-far side was the place to be, with all 11 runners quickly heading to that section of the track. Leading the charge were Statement, and Fev Rover, tracked by Thunder Beauty and Thunder Beach, with Mother Earth, Santa Barbara and Alcohol Free all content to play a waiting game in behind.
Two furlongs from home, there was little change in the order, with Statement and Fev Rover continuing to go at it hammer and tongs up the centre of the track. However, the eye was soon drawn to Mother Earth, being switched to the far side by Frankie Dettori and swiftly building up a head of steam. Alcohol Free attempted a similar move towards the near side, and with Santa Barbara and Saffron Beach joining in, we had a wave of runners spread right across the track. However, it was Mother Earth who had quickened at the decisive moment, moving two lengths clear and holding on by a length at the line from Saffron Beach.
A seventh 1,000 Guineas win for Aidan O’Brien, taking him to within two of the all-time leader, Robert Robson. A third victory for the evergreen Frankie Dettori, following the successes of Kazzia (2002) and Blue Bunting (2011).
- 1. Alcohol Free – SP: 5/2JF, Trainer: Andrew Balding, Jockey: Oisin Murphy
- 2. Fev Rover – SP: 22/1, Trainer: Richard Fahey, Jockey: Paul Hanagan
- 3. Lullaby Moon – Non-runner
- 4. Mother Earth – SP: 10/1, Trainer: Aidan O’Brien, Jockey: Frankie Dettori
- 5. Sacred – SP: 9/1, Trainer: William Haggas, Jockey: Tom Marquand
- 6. Saffron Beach – SP: 9/1, Trainer: Jane Chapple-Hyam, Jockey: Adam Kirby
- 7. Santa Barbara – SP: 5/2JF, Trainer: Aidan O’Brien, Jockey: Ryan Moore
- 8. Seattle Rock – SP: 100/1, Trainer: Sylvester Kirk, Jockey: P J McDonald
- 9. Star Of Emaraaty – SP: 66/1, Trainer: John & Thady Gosden, Jockey: Robert Havlin
- 10. Statement – SP: 7/1, Trainer: Martyn Meade, Jockey: William Buick
- 11. Thunder Beauty – SP: 16/1, Trainer: Ken Condon, Jockey: W J Lee
- 12. Vadream – SP: 25/1, Trainer: Charlie Fellowes Jockey: Jamie Spencer
Lullaby Moon (self-certificate)