A maximum field of 30 went to post in 2019. To say that the dominant yards of Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott were strongly represented is something of an understatement, with no fewer than 19 of the contenders hailing from the Closutton or Longwood operations. The Elliott-affiliated Gigginstown House Stud meanwhile were in danger of running out of different coloured caps for their jockeys with a total of 12 entries. Talk about giving yourself every chance!
Burrows Saint led the Mullins charge and duly headed the betting following back-to-back wins at Gowran Park and Limerick. Next came the JP McManus duo of Any Second Now, who had recently won the Kim Muir Challenge Cup at the Cheltenham Festival, and the unexposed Shady Operator from the yard of Joseph O’Brien.
018 US Grand National winner, Jury Duty, and former JLT Novices Chase queen Shattered Love were deemed the most likely of the Elliott contenders to prevail. Also in the mix in a cracking renewal were the first and second from 2018, General Principle and Isleofhopendreams. But how did it play out?
- 1st – Burrows Saint 6/1F, Jockey: Ruby Walsh, Trainer: Willie Mullins
- 2nd – Isleofhopendreams 20/1, Jockey: Willie Mullins, Trainer: Danny Mullins
- 3rd – Acapella Bourgeois 18/1, Jockey: Willie Mullins, Trainer: Jonathan Burke
- 4th – Snugsborough Benny 14/1, Jockey: Denis O’Regan, Trainer: Liam Cussack
Prize Money Breakdown
- 1st – €270,000
- 2nd – €95,000
- 3rd – €45,000
- 4th – €20,000
- 5th – €10,000
- 6th – €5,000
- 7th – €2,500
- 8th – €2,500
Tote and Forecast Payouts
- Tote Win – €6.50
- Tote Places – 1st – €2.20, 2nd – €5.50, 3rd – €5.10
- Exacta – €124
- Computer Straight Forecast (CSF) – €135.17
- Trifecta – €2,405.10
- Tricast – €2,175.84
Despite his almost unprecedented levels of success on both sides of the Irish Sea, Willie Mullins had never won this race prior to 2019. However, the multiple Irish Champion was to change all that in this edition, and in some style too.
It was one of the Mullins contingent who made his way to the head of affairs early, as Patrick Mullins and Total Recall set out to make the running, swiftly followed by stablemate Acapella Bourgeois. Early casualties included Measureofmydreams, Pairofbrowneyes and Any Second Now who fell at the 1st, 4th, and 8th respectively.
Total Recall continued to lead the way well into the second circuit, but those exertions would ultimately take their toll. As the long-time leader faded out of contention, Whisperinthebreeze stepped in to force the pace, but many of the fancied contenders were beginning to stack up in behind. Rounding the final bend, it was the Mullins squadron who swooped on mass, with Burrows Saint, Isleofhopendreams and Acapella Bourgeois settling down to fight it out, and pulling well clear of the field. It was the Rich Ricci runner Burrows Saint who proved too strong on the run in, chased home by the gallant Isleofhopendreams who was finishing second in the race for a second year in succession.
This was a remarkable result for Mullins who saddled the first three home, and the fifth for good measure. The massed ranks of Elliott runners could manage no better than sixth between them. This was also a second Irish Grand National win for Ruby Walsh who had previously partnered Comanche Court to victory in the year 2000 for his father Ted Walsh.
- 1. Tout Est Permis – SP: 16/1, Trainer: Noel Meade, Jockey: Sean Flanagan
- 2. Dounikos – SP: 33/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Keith Donoghue
- 3. Jury Duty – SP: 11/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Robbie Power
- 4. Pairofbrowneyes – SP: 12/1, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: Paul Townend
- 5. Total Recall – SP: 16/1, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: Mr P W Mullins
- 6. Shattered Love – SP: 11/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Davy Russell
- 7. A Toi Phil – SP: 33/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Rachael Blackmore
- 8. Acapella Bourgeois – SP: 18/1, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: Jonathan Burke
- 9. Any Second Now – SP: 10/1, Trainer: Ted Walsh, Jockey: Mark Walsh
- 10. Monbeg Notorious – SP: 66/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Conor Brassil
- 11. Minella Rocco – SP: 28/1, Trainer: Jonjo O’Neill, Jockey: Mr Derek O’Connor
- 12. Snugsborough Benny – SP: 14/1, Trainer: Liam Cussack, Jockey: Mr Denis O’Regan
- 13. Burrows Saint – SP: 6/1F, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: Ruby Walsh
- 14. General Principle – SP: 33/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Donagh Meyler
- 15. Auvergnat – SP: 16/1, Trainer: Enda Bolger, Jockey: Niall Madden
- 16. Isleofhopendreams – SP: 20/1, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: Danny Mullins
- 17. Blow By Blow – SP: 66/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Jody McGarvey
- 18. Valseur Lido – SP: 40/1, Trainer: Henry De Bromhead, Jockey: Hugh Morgan
- 19. Woods Well – SP: 33/1 , Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Bryan Cooper
- 20. C’est Jersey – SP: 16/1, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: Katie O’Farrell
- 21. Out Sam – SP: 66/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Brian Hughes
- 22. Gun Digger – SP: 14/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Jack Kennedy
- 23. Whisperinthebreeze – SP: 16/1, Trainer: Mrs John Harrington, Jockey: Paddy Kennedy
- 24. Roaring Bull – SP: 25/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Luke Dempsey
- 25. Forever Gold – SP: 50/1, Trainer: Edward Cawley, Jockey: Adam Short
- 26. Bellow Mome – SP: 25/1, Trainer: Willie Mullins, Jockey: David Mullins
- 27. Kimberlite Candy – SP: 20/1, Trainer: Tom Lacey, Jockey: Richie McLernon
- 28. Measureofmydreams – SP: 20/1, Trainer: Gordon Elliott, Jockey: Mark Enright
- 29. Shady Operator – SP: 10/1, Trainer: Joseph O’Brien, Jockey: J J Slevin
- 30. Arkwrisht – SP: 50/1, Trainer: Joseph O’Brien, Jockey: Andrew Ring